Table of Contents

APPENDIX G

POPULATION DISTRIBUTIONS AND TRENDS

The U.S. population as described in the 1970 Census is used as a basis from which the colony properties are derived. The sex ratio is increased by about 10 percent in favor of the males and it is assumed that there is a substantial shifting of the population out of the more dependent ages - from under 20 and over 45 - into the 21-44 age class. Other assumptions include an increase in the participation of married women in the labor force and some fairly serious adjustments in the marital status distribution, all of which are directed toward increasing the proportion of the population in the effective workforce. These data are shown, with some comparable statistics for the United States, in tables 4-9 to 4-13.

Table 4-9.- AGE DISTRIBUTION

Age U.S.-1970
percent
Initial
colony
distribution,
percent
Colony
U.S.-1970
differences,
percent
0-20 yr 39.6 10.5 -29.1
21-44 yr 31.0 74.5 +43.5
45 yr
& over
29.4 15.0 -14.4

Table 4-10.- SEX RATIOS

(Males per 100 females)
Age U.S.-1970 Initial colony ratios
15-24 98.1 107.9
25-44 95.5 105.1
45-64 91.6 100.8

TABLE 4-11.- PERCENT EVER-MARRIED BY SEX AND AGE

Age
Sex 18-19 20-24 25-29 30-34 35-44 45-54 55-64 65-74 75 & over
U.S.-1970
Male
Female

8.1
23.0

43.1
63.6

80.7
87.6

87.6
93.3

91.8
95.5

94.5
95.8

94.9
94.5

94.2
93.3

95.1
93.5



Initial colony
Male
Female

10.1
30.0

75.0
80.0

94.0
94.0

TABLE 4-12.- LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION RATES BY AGE AND MARITAL STATUS - U.S.-1970 AND INITIAL COLONY ASSUMPTIONS

Sex and age Single Ever-married
U.S.-1970
U.S.-1970 Initial Colony Married spouse present Other ever-married Initial colony
Male
16-19
18-20

54.6
-

-
98

92.3
-

68.8
-

-
92
20-24
25-44
< 98 98
45-64
65 and over
91 91
Female
16-19
18-20

44.7
-

-
55

37.8
-

48.6
-

-
48
20-24
25-44
87 56
45-64
65 and over
80 54

TABLE 4-13.- POPULATION DISTRIBUTION BY AGE, SEX AND MARITAL STATUS - INITIAL COLONY SETTLEMENT

Male Female
Total,
both sexes
Total Single Ever-married Total Single Ever-married
Total 10,350 5305 1600 3705 5045 1283 3762
Under 21 yr 1,081 567 557 10 514 483 31
Under 18 yr 864 452 452 -- 412 412 ---
18 to 20 yr 217 115 105 10 102 71 31
21 to 44 yr 7,713 3960 995 2965 3753 752 3001
45 yr and over 1,556 778 48 730 778 48 730

From the numbers in table 4-14, it is apparent that systematic differences as to the proportions of the labor force engaged in production for export exist among U.S. communities of varying size. At a minimum, the percentage of workers engaged in work pertaining to the internal functioning of the community is approximately 30 percent, leaving 70 percent for export industry and for those who, by industrial standards, are not considered productive. These approximations are modified slightly to reflect features of early settlement, including a somewhat higher proportion of workers in internal activities. Table 4-15 shows the population development and the percentages of workers engaged in export activities for the first 14 yr following the beginning of construction.

TABLE 4-14 (gif format)

TABLE 4-14.- MINIMUM PERCENTAGES EMPLOYED IN 14 CLASSIFICATIONS OF AMERICAN COMMUNITIES OF VARYING SIZE, 1960 AND 1950

Metropolitan areas
100,000 - 150,000
Cities of
10,000 - 12,5000
Sector 1960 1950 1960 1950
Agriculture 0.9 1.1 0.1 0.4
Mining .0 .0 .0 .0
Construction 3.5 3.8 2.7 2.5
Dur.mfg. 1.5 2.0 .5 1.2
Non-dur.mfg. 3.4 4.2 1.0 1.0
Transport 3.3 3.2 2.5 3.4
Wholesale 1.7 1.4 .6 1.1
Retail 12.3 12.1 10.5 11.9
Finance 2.2 1.8 1.4 1.6
Bus ser. 1.6 1.6 .6 1.2
Pers. serv. 2.5 3.3 2.3 2.8
Entertaining .4 .6 .2 .3
Professional 8.0 5.8 6.0 4.1
Publ. admin. 2.2 2.2 1.6 1.7
Total 43.5 43.1 30.0 33.2

Table 4-15 shows the population development and the percentages of workers engaged in export activities for the first 14 yr following the beginning of construction.

TABLE 4-15 (gif format)

TABLE 4-15.- POPULATION AND LABOR FORCE DEVELOPMENT - THROUGH THE 14TH YEAR FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE COLONY CONSTRUCTION AT L5

Year Total
population
Total
labor force (a)
Labor force
engaged in "export activity" (a)
-3
-2
-1
X
1
2
200

600
200

600
-
-
-
-
-
-
3 600 600 -
4
5
6
7
8
2270

2620
2270

2620
-
-
-
-
-
9
10
11
12
13
14
2620
2620
4350
6350
8350
10,350
2620
2620
3162
4616
6070
7523
-
-
1932
2820
3709
4597

(a) Labor force participation rates would be expected to decline to approximately U.S. levels eventually. Export activity as a proportion of total labor force assumed to resemble those found in U.S. communities of comparable size (after E Ullman and others 1971, The Economic Base of Cities, Seattle: University of Washington Press.
X denotes the year in which colony construction begins.

Return to Chapter 4

Table of Contents